Friday, January 19, 2007

Another LA Green Comes Aboard

My name is Patrick Meighan, and Michael is graciously sharing his corner of the LA blogosphere with me. (Thanks, Michael)

In my last few months reading LA’s political blogs, I’ve found plenty of reactionary conservative boards, I’ve found center left comment hubs, I’ve found a truly great single-issue blog written by someone who happens to be a progressive, and I’ve found some LA-based progressive blogs that seem to want to talk mostly about places other than L.A.

Fer heck’s sakes, this is the biggest progressive city in the world! Is there no site dedicated to discussing the fight for social justice, economic justice and environmental justice right here in L.A.?

Well, to my mind, that’s what this site is, and that's what I can help to contribue more of. I’m excited to be a part of it. (Thanks again, Michael)

Like Michael, I’m a Green. But you won’t find me spending too much time dithering over internal Green Party crap. There’s no time for that. We got a city to save.

So let’s get crackin’.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

"this is the biggest progressive city in the world"

Are you kidding?!

Look at the environment we live in:

the largest population of homeless in the country, a corrupt mayor with style but no substance, filthy air, polluted beaches, huge income disparities, cultural narcissism, consumerism, etc.

If this is the most progressive city in the world, then kill me.

1:25 PM  
Blogger michael said...

Well, everyone can agree at least that Los Angeles is a very big city. Whether it is a progressive city, or merely culturally liberal (in a narcissistic fashion) is an interesting question.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Patrick Meighan said...

Alex,

I'd call Los Angeles the *biggest* progressive city in the world (not the *most* progressive, necessarily) only because of the progressive presence in City Hall (a progressive mayor and a progressive majority on the City Council with a progressive City Council President), a relatively-progressive political machine (LA's labor community) dominating the electoral and policy landscape, and a generally progressive voting public. All this in the second-largest city in the nation.

What you allude to, though, is absolutely true: despite the current power of progessive L.A., there've been precious few results to show for it. L.A.'s progessive agenda (to the extent that we have one) hasn't been pushed forward very far.

Examining that, and trying to figure out what we can do about it, is one of my current passions, and is the purpose of my involvement in this blog.

Patrick Meighan

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home